With so many different window treatment products, you are never short of options for dressing up the windows in your house. Available in every color and design you can think of, window coverings help ensure a comfortable atmosphere inside the house. They do so in a variety of ways that include protection against the scorching summer heat and winter chill, glare reduction by diffusing the natural light entering inside and through the prevention of exposure to the harmful UV rays. Feature-rich, durable and compact, window coverings are an elegant and efficient way of dressing up your windows.
What are Sheer Shades?
Do you feel confused about whether to get blinds or shades for your house? Well, with sheer shades, you don’t have to pick as you get the best of both the worlds. These unique window coverings are a combination of both blinds and shades. Just like the blinds, the sheer shades feature vanes that can be adjusted to allow the natural light to enter inside or can be closed to completely block it out to protect your privacy. On the other hand, just like any other type of shades, the sheer shades are primarily made of fabric which allows light to be diffused through it, allowing for a softer look.
Why Should You Consider Sheer Shades?
The sheer shades are ideal for letting soft, diffused light inside the house without having to completely block the view of the outside or having to raise the window coverings completely and exposing yourself and your family to the scorching Sun and harsh UV rays. With sheer shades, you don’t have to worry about your privacy either as you don’t need to completely raise the shades for light control. This hybrid solution provides you with more flexibility without having to compromise on any functionality you would avail using traditional blinds or shades.
If you think that sheer shades are good only for light-filtration, you can’t be further from the truth. Sheer shades are just as effective at darkening rooms or as blackout window treatments. Sheer shades with different combinations of vanes and fabrics are available and you can pick ones that better suit your needs. Even by adjusting the orientation of the vanes, you can achieve a varying degree of room darkening and light filtration effects.
Due to this versatile appeal, sheer shades can be installed in any section of the house including the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, office, etc. If you use these shades throughout the house, you also get a consistent and uniform look across the house, thereby enhancing the visual appeal of the interiors.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Just like any other window treatment option, sheer shades also need cleaning and maintenance from time to time. This is important to ensure the smooth functioning of the shades also for enhancing their durability. By keeping them well-maintained, you also ensure that the interiors of your house continue to look pristine and spotless as ever.
How to Clean Sheer Shades
Sheer shades are the ‘go-to’ window treatment option for achieving an elegant and sophisticated appeal. In order to create this clean and fancy look, sheer shades make use of delicate fabrics. Hence, you need to be gentle and extra careful about the way you clean your sheer shades. Let us see how you can clean your sheer shades properly without damaging them:
- Step 1:The first step will be to ascertain the level of cleaning required. If your shades just have a light coating of dust or grime, vacuum cleaning with a soft brush will be sufficient. However, if the shades are stained or have a heavy accumulation of dirt and debris, you will need to deep clean them.
- Step 2: Gather the cleaning tools you’ll need. You will need a feather duster, a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment, A bucket of warm water, mild soap or detergent, and a soft cleaning cloth or a sponge.
- Step 3: Pull down the shades to fully extend them. This will help you access the entire body of the shades.
- Step 4: Using the feather duster, remove dust, and grime from the surface of the shades.
- Step 5: Use your vacuum cleaner with the soft brush attachment to remove any additional dirt and dust left after the dusting process. Make sure that the suction is not too intense as it can damage the fabric of the shades.
- Step 6:Take a bucket and fill it with lukewarm water. Add mild soap or detergent to the water and stir the mixture with your hand until it gets sudsy.
- Step 7: Take a soft cleaning cloth or a sponge and dip it in the soapy water. Allow it to absorb as much soapy water as possible and then wriggle it to get rid of any excess water.
- Step 8: Using the sponge or the cleaning cloth start wiping the shades. Start at the headrail and continue gently wiping from one side to the other while moving down until you reach the bottom of the shades. Be careful not to get any water inside the mechanical parts of the headrail as moisture could cause the parts to rust or get damaged.
- Step 9: Once you are done wiping, leave the shades pulled down and extended and allow them to dry. It should take around a couple of hours to dry out.
- Step 10. Check after a few hours if the shades have dried out completely. If yes, then the cleaning process is complete. Now you can retract them or use them normally according to your preference.
- Step 11: If you see that there are stains or dirty spots on the shades even after cleaning, the shades may need more intense cleaning. It is advisable not to do it on your own as you may end up damaging the shades. Instead, you should consult a professional cleaning service that specializes in heavily stained shades and has proper equipment and experience to handle such cases.
While sheer shades look every bit gorgeous and sophisticated, they also add value to the interiors of your house by protecting them from the outside heat, glare, dust, and UV exposure and by ensuring your privacy. To keep them in good shape and looking flawless, you should create a regular cleaning schedule for your sheer shades. Frequent cleaning of the shades will not allow excessive dirt and grime to get accumulated, making the cleaning process easier and quicker. Also make it a point to clean the stains, if any, the moment you notice them. Leaving them for later makes the stains more stubborn and hard to clean. Clean and well-maintained shades will function smoothly and also enhance the visual appeal of your home décor.
Disclaimer: Please follow these instructions at your own risk. ZebraBlinds takes no liability for any issues or damaged caused through following DIY methods. Since all blinds and shades are different, we always recommend checking with your blind manufacturer or retailer first before making any modifications to your blinds. As well, if you are uncomfortable on your own, look for the help of a professional.