How to Measure for Vertical Blinds? Easy Step-by-step Measuring Guidelines to Follow
If you want a stylish and contemporary window dressing in your room, then vertical blinds are the perfect choice for your windows. They can be installed in large or tall windows and sliding glass doors. These blinds offer semi or full privacy through their vanes. The vanes are available in PVC, vinyl, wood, and fabric. These blinds are very durable, very easy to install and care for, makes them the perfect choice for many homeowners.
Vertical window blinds can be tilted to a closed position to block out the light. Available in different fabrics, headrail types, and other options, you have a wide range of customization options to choose from. You can operate them with wand or cord control. But do you know how to install them? How do you mount Vertical Blinds? Before you purchase and install, you should know how to measure your windows so that you can buy them with the proper measurements. Let’s learn how to measure for vertical blinds. Know these basic steps to measure for your vertical blinds.
How do you Measure Windows for Vertical Blinds?
To get the perfect vertical window blinds installed in your room, first you need to measure carefully.
Before you start, all you need a measuring tape, pen, paper, and ladder. Then you should decide whether you want to place your vertical window blinds inside the window frame or if you want to install them on the outside of the window to cover the window frame completely.
How to Measure for Vertical Blinds Inside Mount?
For inside mount:
- Inside mount blinds are installed inside the window frame. To get the height, to the closest 1/8 inch, measure from the inside top of the opening on the left, at the center, and on the right to the sill.
- To get the width, measure the opening at the top, where the headrail is to be placed, from inside of window frame on left to inside of window frame on right. Measure again at the middle and at the bottom.
- Now note down the measurements of the smallest height and width to get the ordered measurements. Do not make any deductions on width for clearance, as the manufacturer will make their own deductions on an inside mount.
Outside Mount Vertical Blinds
Determine the window measurements diagonally from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, and the top right corner to the bottom left corner. If the measurements are different by more than ¼ inch, we recommend an outside mount installation. Outside mount blinds are installed outside the window frame.
- For height, measure the height of the area to be covered round down to the closest 1/8 inch. If you are planning to install your window blinds above the window molding, then don’t forget to add extra necessary height to account for the headrail.
- To get the width, measure the area to be covered at the place where the headrail will be fixed to the nearest 1/8 inch. Generally, you would add 3-6″ for overlap, and so that there is room for the blinds to stack clear of the door. Add more if desired/required.
- If the blinds extend to the floor, then deduct ½ inch from the shortest height for proper clearance.
Measuring Vertical Blinds for Patio Doors or Sliding Glass Doors
Vertical blinds are the common window dressings for sliding glass doors. The sleek and modern look of these blinds makes them an ideal choice for these patio doors.
While measuring for these windows, it’s important that you measure the blind to fit as an outside mount. Most of the times there will not be enough mounting depth to install vertical blinds inside the window frame. So it’s better to go with outside mount for patio doors.
The width of the vertical blinds needs to be measured from the outside of the molding left to right. Make sure that you choose outside mounting as this will ensure that your blind will come the exact width and length desired with no deductions taken.
Things to Remember While Measuring Vertical Blinds for Sliding Doors
- Re-check the Measurements – Make sure that you have noted down the right measurements writing the width first and then the height.
- Check the Cord Position – Make sure the cord is in a spot that is accessible and isn’t obstructed by anything.
- Check for the Same Width – Measure each side of the windows separately to see if both sides of the window are the same width or not. Double check that there is no gap in the middle where the light will pass through.
- If you are planning to install vertical window blinds near to wall heaters, then the window blinds should clear heaters by at least 6-inches on the side and by 12-inches on the top.
What are the Slat Sizes Available for Vertical Blinds?
Proper slat sizes can make a huge difference in your room. They will help you to transform the look of your room, light control, and maintain privacy. Most vertical blinds are available in a 3.5-inch slat size that offers you all the benefits you are looking for.
Related Posts: How to Determine Appropriate Size for Window Blind Slats
Take an Expert’s Help in the Process of Measurement
Wondering how to take proper measurements for your window vertical blinds so that installation works out without any problems? If you are confronting any dilemma then you are at the right place. Ask our design experts so that they take the proper measurements for your windows. You can watch our DIY ‘How to Measure’ video for more clarity.
Besides, get free shipping and attractive deals on our products. You can order free samples to match your décor style. Still, have doubts? Contact us or leave your questions in the comment section. Our customer care executives will be happy to help you with your problems.