Vertical Blinds vs Horizontal Blinds- Know the Difference
There is no accounting for taste when it comes to redesigning your windows. Endless options available in the market can make anyone’s head start spinning. The huge variety of color schemes, designs, patterns and materials available is definitely going to tear you apart between them in order to enhance the beauty of your home. The first and foremost question you should ask yourself before shopping for blinds is whether vertical or horizontal blinds are most suitable for your home. There are certain key factors that should be kept in mind for comparing the specifications and needs of vertical and horizontal blinds.
Things To Consider While Choosing Between Vertical & Horizontal Blinds
1. Dimensions of Windows: The size of the windows matters to a great extent when it comes to choosing window blinds for them. There are window coverings available of all sizes. Vertical blinds are preferred for large size and wider windows and patio or sliding doors. Horizontal blinds are preferred for narrow, taller and small windows.
2. Mechanism of opening & closing of windows: Windows come in various designs, sizes, shapes, and colors. They also come in the different style of open and close mechanism as per the need and choice of homeowners. There are many types of windows like awning windows, casement windows, sliding windows, skylight windows, etc. They have different opening and closing mechanism. Casement windows come with a panel hinged with the window frame. Awning windows have a panel which opens upside down. Sliding windows have sliding panels. Not every type of window covering is suitable for every type of windows. So, selecting right window coverings is important for accurate functionality.
3. Home décor theme: Windows are designed according to the architecture of the home. Window coverings should also be selected according to the overall color theme and design of the home so that there won’t be any mismatch. Whether you want blinds for office or for home, they should be selected keeping in mind the overall look.
Vertical Blinds Vs Horizontal Blinds
To decide which type of window coverings is suitable for your windows – vertical blinds or horizontal blinds, you need to know the difference between them. Only then will you be able to choose the right window covering. Implementing any of the two blinds depend on the size and type of your windows. Here is the list of the differences between the two:
- Compatibility: Vertical blinds are compatible with sliding or patio doors or large size wide windows as they run up and down and open side to side. Whereas, horizontal blinds are best-suited for small, narrower and taller windows as they open up and down. Vertical blinds come in various color schemes, designs, functionality, and materials. Vertical wooden blinds for patio doors are very famous and are preferred by most of the homeowners. Horizontal blinds are also available in various sizes, colors, textures, designs, materials, and functionality. You can implement horizontal blinds in windows of any size and shape.
- The Direction of Sunlight: Vertical blinds are mostly implemented on the windows which face east or west direction. While horizontal blinds are perfect for those windows which face south or north.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Cleaning and maintaining of blinds whether vertical or horizontal is a must to retain their lifespan. Cleaning both is not too hard, but cleaning vertical blinds is a bit easier than that cleaning horizontal blinds. Vertical blinds can be easily cleaned in one sweep but horizontal blinds have other mechanisms and strings attached which cause some difficulty. Horizontal blinds are also often implemented on hard to reach windows so reaching them for cleaning is difficult. Vertical blinds can be cleaned easily but as they rely on a single track with moving slats, they are more likely to wear out needing replacement or repairing.
- Privacy: Vertical blinds block UV radiations effectively but still they tend to allow some amount of light to pass through more easily than horizontal blinds. Horizontal blinds are a better option if your main concern is privacy. Vertical blinds can allow unwanted eyes to bump into them and open slightly to see inside.
- Energy-efficiency and sun protection: Both kinds of blinds are crafted from supreme quality material and serve the purpose of blocking harsh sunrays effectively. But, it has been noticed that vertical blinds work better in blocking the sun from getting inside and making the room hot with unbearable heat. Horizontal blinds also serve this purpose, but not perfectly. This is all a matter of engineering. The sun shines downward so the sun rays can easily pass through the cracks between the slats. Vertical blinds are a bit more convenient in winters than horizontal blinds. The slats of vertical blinds overlap creating a perfect barrier which results in complete shielding of your home from heat and harsh glare. Vertical blinds are more energy-efficient for your homes than horizontal blinds because of their better insulation property.
- Size of slats: The size of slats in vertical blinds are larger as compared to the slats of horizontal blinds. The slats of horizontal blinds don’t touch the floor but slats of vertical blinds do. Horizontal blinds make less noise but slats of vertical blinds during windy days can be very noisy especially if their tracks are not regularly greased.
Similarities Between Vertical and Horizontal Blinds
We have briefed you about all the differences between both vertical and horizontal blinds. Now, you must be clear about what kind of window coverings are best-suited for your windows. Apart from many differences, there are two similarities between both the blinds. So, if you are concern about these two factors only then any one of them is advisable.
- Blocking UV rays: Both vertical and horizontal blinds block sunrays effectively. They both will help to keep your home cool and comfortable. An excess amount of light can be disturbing for the ambiance of your space so implementing any of these is a cost-effective and nature-friendly solution.
- Usage of materials: Vertical and horizontal blinds, both can be crafted from numerous material options available like wood, aluminum, jute, fabric, PVC, vinyl and many more. ZebraBlinds use the supreme quality material in making its collection of blinds and shades. We offer a great collection of vertical and horizontal blinds in various specifications like aluminum vertical window blinds, faux wood vertical blinds for patio doors, wooden horizontal blinds, etc.
If you’re in the mood to shop for redesigning your windows then you have to make sure that you know the right type for the windows in your home. Our experts can help you out in buying the best window blinds at reasonable rates. You can order blinds and shades online. Our vertical and horizontal blinds can also be customized and outfitted with additional options to create the perfect fit for every room in your home.