Z-wave is one of the leading wireless Radio Frequency protocols used in Home Automation. It is wireless just like wifi, however, it is different from wifi since it uses a completely different frequency and supports low power wireless devices; this means a wireless Z-wave device can stay operational for months or even years. When Z-wave is integrated into everyday products such as lights, window coverings, door locks or doors, it makes them smarter by creating a way for all these devices to communicate together using a compatible hub and also enabling remote control and automation of these devices.
Benefits of using Z-wave
- Most wireless Z-wave devices are low powered, allowing them to last months or even years on a standard battery
- Z-wave is a mesh network. This means that the communication range can be extended to cover any size of home or office using Z-wave compatible devices that act as a repeater.
- Almost all powered (plugs into any wall outlet) Z-wave devices work as repeaters
- General cost of devices are low in comparison to other technologies
- Most major manufacturers create devices with Z-wave integration
- Compatible hub's that allow remote control and provide automations are affordable and simple to use