Inside Mount Measurement for Sheer Shades
Inside mount shades are installed inside the window casing. Minimum depth requirements vary by product; please check the product page for information.
- Measure the exact inside width, to the closest 1/8th inch, of the window casing from the left inside edge to the right inside edge at the top, middle and bottom of the window. Record the narrowest measurement as this will be your ordering width.
- Measure the exact height in three different places from top edge of opening to top of sill. Record the shortest measurement. Do not add any extra height for inside mount zebra or sheer horizontal shades as that may affect functionality of the blind. Zebra Sheer Shades are designed to have the stripes align to close when lowered to the height ordered.
- Do not make any deductions on width for clearance; the manufacturing facility will make any necessary deductions to ensure the shade fits.
- Measure the window diagonally from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, and the top right corner to the bottom left corner. If the measurements are different by more than a 1/4" (inch), we recommend an outside mount installation for optimal fit and aesthetics.
- Fabric width will be 1" - 1 5/8" narrower than ordered width depening on the lift option chosen. For Graber Mezzanine or Overture sheer shades the fabric will be shorter by 1 7/8" - 2". The ordered width is the widest point of the shade which is from pin end to clutch end of the shade or the left edge to the right edge of the valance. Please add any necessary measurements to your width.
Outside Mount Measurement for Sheer Shades
Outside mount shades are installed outside the window casing, covering an area larger than the window opening itself.
- Measure the exact width to be covered to the closest 1/8th inch. Make sure the measurement overlaps the window opening by at least 2" - 3" on each side (4" - 6" total overlap) to ensure light control and privacy. Typically measured from the left outer edge of the window molding to the right outer edge. Please contact us if you have questions.
- Measure exact height to be covered, including desired overlap (typically from top edge of molding to bottom edge, or to top of sill if there is one). Make sure you consider the height of the headrail/cassette, which is included in the height measurement. If you are installing above the measured area, add the height of the cassette of your shade.
- The factory makes no deductions on outside mount shades.
- Please note on all sheer shades shades the fabric will be 1 1/2" - 1 5/8" shorter than the ordered width. For Graber Mezzanine or Overture sheer shades the fabric will be shorter by 1 7/8" - 2". The ordered width is the widest point of the shade which is from pin end to clutch end of the shade or the left edge to the right edge of the valance. Please add any necessary measurements to your width.